Who We Are
Remember when you first discovered the power of live theatre? Stories and acting so compelling you were moved to laughter, tears, anger or sadness? Performances that left you with life-changing questions, and moments that brought you the satisfaction of an evening well spent? Now is the time to rediscover those exceptional moments and introduce others to the PICT Classic Theatre experience.
PICT Classic Theatre creates a culture of enlightened entertainment by focusing on the three essential elements of theatre: Authors, Actors and Audience.
From centuries past to the present day, PICT Classic Theatre respects the text and brings playwrights’ words to life for you.
PICT is a theatre company, with world-class talent who choose to live in this great city. They delight you with their skills and abilities because Pittsburgh is their home, and you are their family.
YOU play the most important part when you sit in the darkened theatre, experience the performance and connect with the characters illuminated on stage.
From timeless truths that explore the universal depths of human nature, to the sharpest Irish wit. Long after the curtain falls, PICT Classic Theatre will remind you of the moment you first felt the power of a great performance.
Join PICT’s growing family of audience members who EXPECT MORE.
To produce professional, provocative and challenging theatre for the widest audience.
PICT is an internationally recognized theatre whose mission is to produce innovative interpretations of dramatic literature in the classic and Irish traditions.
We exist to serve the community.
We are dedicated to achieving the highest quality of artistic expression.
We demonstrate integrity and respect for others in all our dealings.
We are financially prudent and disciplined.
Core Values Expanded
- We believe in the power of live theatre. We believe creativity is an essential part of what it means to be human and that theatre is the best means, artistically, to achieve awareness of this fact.
- We exist in order to bring people together for the unique emotional and intellectual experience of theatre. To promote an awareness and love of theatre for all, but especially in the young.
- We are a theatre and a company that makes Pittsburgh a home for regular seasons of plays from the works of Irish Playwrights, of Shakespeare and other Classic and Classical playwrights.
- We are a theatre where the best available of Pittsburgh theatre talent is assembled and utilised for their skills and knowledge.
- We are dedicated to the support of local artists and arts administrators and offer every encouragement to help them continue to make Pittsburgh their viable artistic home.
- We serve as ambassadors to visiting artists who bring to Pittsburgh the best of talent from which we can learn.
- We provide a professional theatre that is based on and around a committed team and a professional acting company. A theatre where the best of new talent is given the experience and nurturing that will help their own theatre craft, and provide the company and Pittsburgh with a body of skilled professional theatre artists into the future.
- We provide a theatrical experience that is family-friendly and welcoming to the young and old alike. A theatre where young audiences are given modestly priced access and opportunity to experience the best of Irish and Classic theatre
- We operate as a Not-For-Profit organization.
- We are fiscally responsible. We are committed to financial discipline and to following best practices to ensure the continuation of the organization for future generations.
- We create a culture of respect. We are respectful and considerate in interactions with artists, staff, board, audiences, donors and vendors at every point of contact, in a culture of mutual respect that engages and nurtures all constituencies.
- We strive to be a “green” theatre. We are an environmentally pro-active organization that minimizes the negative impact of the inherently wasteful theatrical process.
- We are dedicated to the building of clear, trusting and robust relationships with Foundation funders based on a commitment to work with them for the betterment of theatre experience for all; and especially in those areas for which their funding is dedicated.
- We provide a theatre where donors, subscribers and all other attendees are given the highest quality experience of theatre both as guests and more importantly as stakeholders.
Theatre is action.
A great theatre requires – indeed demands – great acting.
It demands great writing, great directing and great design.
The totality of the experience of the play for the audience must be complete.
Theatre can be simple or complex. It can be well funded or poorly funded
It can even be wrong.
But it must never be bad.
There are no excuses for bad Theatre.
Theatre is universal. It defeats borders. It defeats politics.
“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.”
We believe in theatre.