Who We Are
Remember when you first discovered the power of live theatre? Stories and acting so compelling you were moved to laughter, tears, anger or sadness? Performances that left you with life-changing questions, and moments that brought you the satisfaction of an evening well spent? Now is the time to rediscover those exceptional moments and introduce others to the PICT Classic Theatre experience.
WHO IS PICT?
PICT Classic Theatre is an internationally recognized, non-profit theatre company committed presenting the highest quality productions for the widest audience. Our productions feature innovative, minimalist design, and examine current social issues through the lens of classic text. With over 110 productions in our 24-year history, PICT continues to bring beloved works to the stage to approximately 10,000 patrons each season.
WHAT IS CLASSIC THEATRE? PICT’S MINIMALIST APPROACH
We define a “classic” as a work that is true of its time and for all time. We define minimalism as the process of creating theatre with the actor as the center and heart of the presentation. The text and its themes and style come next. All other aspects of production and presentation such as setting, costumes, lighting, and sound are kept to a minimum and only serve to enhance and support the work of the actor.
Our productions celebrate the artistry of classic text through the craft of modern performance skills, but those are not our only strengths. PICT is also dedicated to the principle of employing local talent in all facets of the company, and to the duty of educating and training the next generation of Pittsburgh theatre makers in analysis, appreciation and execution of the performance of classic work. We can step in as a supplementary resource for primary and secondary school arts programming, as well as providing continuing education for all ages. We are presenting shows not usually seen on other Pittsburgh stages, particularly modern Irish and classic European plays. We are apprenticing and training the next generation of Pittsburgh theatre artists, and we provide a professional launching pad for young artists from Pittsburgh conservatories including CMU, Point Park, Pitt, and Duquesne. Lastly, and most importantly, we are invested in our local community partnerships: a theater of Pittsburgh, by Pittsburgh, and for Pittsburgh. PICT strives through the art of theatre and the interpretation of classic text to create a platform for our community to discourse on the issues relevant to our current time, and work toward connection and solution.
Long after the curtain falls, PICT Classic Theatre will remind you of the moment you first felt the power of a great performance.
For all venue accessible needs and questions, please contact our Accessibility Coordinator at (412) 561-6000, x 207
To produce professional and challenging drama for the widest audience regardless of age, gender and race, through innovative and imaginative theatrical presentation.
PICT Classic Theatre’s mission is to engage with, entertain, and serve the Pittsburgh community by examining current social issues through the lens of classic text.
We exist to serve as an essential artistic and educational resource for the Pittsburgh community.
We are dedicated to achieving the highest quality of artistic expression.
We demonstrate integrity and respect for others in all our dealings.
We create a safe and collaborative workspace founded in equity, inclusivity, and accessibility.
We endeavor always to be financially prudent and disciplined.
Core Values Expanded
- We believe in the power of live theatre. We believe creativity is an essential part of what it means to be human and that theatre is the best means, artistically, to achieve awareness of this fact.
- We exist in order to bring people together for the unique emotional experience of theatre. To promote an awareness and love of theatre for all, but especially in the young.
- We are a theatre and a company that makes Pittsburgh a home and are proud to collaborate with this city’s rich talent.
- We are dedicated to the support of local artists and arts administrators and offer every encouragement to help them continue to make Pittsburgh their viable artistic home.
- We serve as ambassadors to visiting artists who bring to Pittsburgh the best of talent from which we can learn.
- We provide a professional theatre that is based on and around a committed team and a professional acting company. A theatre where the best of new talent is given the experience and nurturing that will help their own theatre craft, and provide the company and Pittsburgh with a body of skilled professional theatre artists into the future.
- We provide a theatrical experience that is family-friendly and welcoming to the young and old alike. A theatre where young audiences are given modestly priced access and opportunity to experience the best of Irish and Classic theatre
- We operate as a Not-For-Profit organization.
- We are fiscally responsible. We are committed to financial discipline and to following best practices to ensure the continuation of the organization for future generations.
- We create a culture of respect. We are respectful and considerate in interactions with artists, staff, board, audiences, donors and vendors at every point of contact, in a culture of mutual respect that engages and nurtures all constituencies.
- We strive to be a “green” theatre. We are an environmentally pro-active organization that minimizes the negative impact of the inherently wasteful theatrical process.
- We are dedicated to the building of clear, trusting and robust relationships with Foundation funders based on a commitment to work with them for the betterment of theatre experience for all; and especially in those areas for which their funding is dedicated.
- We provide a theatre where donors, subscribers and all other attendees are given the highest quality experience of theatre both as guests and more importantly as stakeholders.
- We believe in the power of art and compassion.
“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.”